Supplements to support Adrenal + Thyroid health
I want to start by saying, i am not a big fan of randomly choosing supplements without working with an Integrative/Functional health practitioner (like me!).
I explain why its a mistake to treat conditions like this with supplementation alone in my free masterclass "The 4 hormone balancing mistakes" - make sure you are signed up!
But I want to give you some of my top recommended supplements and remedies that MAY be helpful (but remember these things should be individualised to you)
For adrenal health, I love these two biohacking natural remedies:
The adrenals need high quality, mineral-rich salt like Celtic sea salt or Himalayan Pink Salt.
Try this upon rising to give you energy in the AM and/or midday if you suspect adrenal issues:
Mix ½ cup organic orange juice or apple juice with ½ cup coconut water (for potassium) and ½ teaspoon of Celtic sea salt; stir and drink.
Combine one tablespoon of coconut oil with one drop of Cypress essential oil and use this mixture to massage gently into the adrenal area.
The adrenals sit atop the kidneys, so work from your lower back up to the base of your ribcage.
You can also have a partner do this for you. It’s lovely to connect in this way and can be a beautiful thing to receive some tender care.
SUPPLEMENTS TO SUPPORT ADRENAL HEALTH
- Adrenal adaptogens - Maca powder, Ashwagandha, Siberian ginseng, and Rhodiola are all fantastic adrenal adaptogens. They support the adrenal glands and help them create a healthy response to stressors. This will also significantly improve hormone balance.
- Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) – An important type of omega-3 fatty acid that also has antioxidant properties. ALA also plays a role in the regulation of blood sugar levels.
- Carnitine – Carnitine is an amino acid that plays an important role in energy production. It will improve your metabolism, mood, and will increase energy levels and ability to focus.
- DHEA – DHEA is a hormone produced by the adrenal glands that acts as the precursor to estrogen and testosterone, hence its role in improving hormone balance.
- High-quality multivitamin – Make sure that your multivitamin contains all the essential vitamins (especially B-group vitamins and vitamin C), as well as the essential minerals (especially zinc, which is important for adrenal health).
WHAT ABOUT THYROID HORMONES?
Women are 8 times more likely to develop a thyroid disorder than men suggesting involvement of female sex hormones. The exact mechanisms are not fully understood, though it is believed that significant hormonal shifts factor in.
As well, both psychological stress, such as grief, and physical stress, such as trauma or illness, have been implicated as triggers in thyroid disease. While the way stress affects the thyroid is not completely understood, it may involve the activation of the HPA (hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal) axis. Reducing stress is a must to protect your thyroid health.
SUPPLEMENTS TO SUPPORT THYROID HEALTH
- Vitamin D
Let me know in the comments if you supplement with any of these and if they're helping!
Remember to sign up for my free masterclass "The 4 Hormone Balancing Mistakes"